Microsoft XML

Dale Pond dalesvp at centurytel.net
Wed Aug 29 12:36:03 EDT 2007

 >Has anyone looked at the native format used by Apple's "Numbers"?

Some interesting history might help with this question... many years
ago (1989?) Apple purchased the kernel for their spreadsheet used in
AppleWorks from WingZ (now long since defunct). They paid $1,000,000
for it. I know this because I was using WingZ 1.0 and absolutely love
the program. It had (even at 1.0) far more capability than MS's
skinned down bleached out program. WingZ went bust, I suppose, for
lack of market. Anyhow, the current version of AppleWorks can accept
a cut and paste of the data and formulae from WingZ. However, since
Apple did not implement ALL of WingZ capabilities some things don't
work as well.

It is PRESUMED the new "Numbers" spreadsheet is a derivative of all
this. If not I reckon it's sol time (again).

On the other hand, the original code for WingZ 3.0 was dumped to the
web as a Linux program. Not being a Linux programmer I was not able
to get it to run on Mac - though I do have that code in the event
anyone wants it, let me know.

Life, Light, Love & Laughter,
Dale Pond
Sympathetic Vibratory Physics