The CD drive: detecting insertion.

David Bovill david at openpartnership.net
Thu Aug 23 10:14:11 EDT 2007

I want to detect the insertion of a CD into a drive - the way that QuickTime
/ DVD players do on most platforms...

   - Is there any way to tell/suggest the path to the CD / DVD drive(s)?

I thought of using the volumes function and removing the names of all the
volumes that were there before the CD / DVD was inserted, but ran into the
problem that long DVD titles are truncated by the volumes function... is
there a better way to do this. I seem to remember from Linux days that the
drives are mounted at a specific mount point - so this should hold up for
OSX as well?

The ultimate would be to do proper auto-detection. From a quick search it
seems that there are some libraries that allow you to do this.... but it
does not seem possible easily - that is with AppleScript or the equivalent.
What would it take to get a Rev app to receive the events that the system
sends out and Apps like QuickTime trap?