1 5 10 25 50

Paul Gabel paulgabel at comcast.net
Fri Aug 17 19:17:37 EDT 2007

To those of you who so imaginatively tried to solve this problem as
some sort of mathematical progression, here is the email that Mark
Swindell sent to me. As I mentioned, I accidentally replied to the
list instead of Mark personally.

Hi Paul,

Maybe you can help me with this ... I know it should be very simple,
but:
In a variable lTheCoins I have the words "1 5 10 25 50." If I "get
word 1 of this variable," it = 1. If I give the command ...

<replace it with empty in lTheCoins>

word 1 is replaced with empty, but so is character 1 of word 3 (10
becomes 0 ... the remaining words in lTheCoins are now 5 0 25 50, but
there is no zero coin). I only want to replace the whole word 'it,'
not each instance of it [not every "1"]. What's the way to get the
proper behavior?

Mark

Mark said he's since solved it, but I haven't seen his solution yet.
Here's mine:

... but I'd love to see any improvements.

Paul Gabel