Standalones as CGI

jbv jbv.silences at club-internet.fr
Wed Aug 15 14:35:47 EDT 2007

Hi all,

> This is my standalone named teste2. Now with the loader script from the
> previous email, we're able to see what the standalone think of the display.
> Go to
>
>     http://www.andregarzia.com/cgi-bin/teste3.cgi
>
> you'll see that this loads the standalone, it renders itself, takes a
> snapshot of itself, and quits very fast. Since we're running no window
> manager or nice graphical libraries, our stack has no border or title, but
> yet, it runs and it is able to do marvelous things...
>
> Just to prove that this is live, I've added a bit in the code to show your
> own IP...
>
> Now, we can use linux standalones and even generate images. What about this?

OK, Andre has done a wonderful job (as always), and you (probably) all know that I'm
a big fan of Rev cgi (building websites around it every time I can)...

Nevertheless, I don't want to be the devil's advocate, but I was wondering what practical
use we could find in generating images via cgi standalones, like bar charts etc.
I mean, there are already several (fast) php librairies capable of it, that can be hooked to any
Rev cgi script... And there are also some js functions that allow generation of various
graphics on the client side browser...
Last but not least, as for image manipulation, we all know the slowness of imagedata...

So I'm curious : any brilliant idea ?

best,
JB