Sendmail on OSX through Rev

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 17:35:22 EDT 2007

On 8/14/07, Richard Miller <wow at together.net> wrote:
> We are using a dedicated Mac Mini as a server through an ISP. We've
> asked them for a way to send emails from the Mini so we can avoid
> using SMTP relay. This is the response they sent back. I'm hoping
> someone here can tell us how to implement this through Rev.
>
> "To generate emails from the Mini, you just need to call /usr/sbin/
> sendmail or /usr/sbin/postfix withthe appropriate arguments.  Turning
> on postfix as an SMTP server will only affect the Mini's ability to
> receive email.

I too have a dedicated Mac Mini running as a server, but I do use
Postfix. People on the network set the Mini's IP address (or
Rendezvous name) as their SMTP server and all emails get sent there
first. If the emails match the domain name, then they get routed
locally, otherwise they get relayed to an external SMTP server. For
setting up Postfix &/or fetchmail, I highly recommend MailServe
<http://cutedgesystems.com/software/MailServe/>. It gives you a
graphical interface to all the setup stuff. The author, Bernard Teo,
was extremely helpful when I had some configuration problems.

However if you do not want to use SMTP relay, then as your ISP says,
you can use sendmail. I have a CGI script that does this, and I can
send it to you if that would help. However it seems to me that the
complication would be in receiving the mails from the rest of the
network. If you set up Postfix's SMTP server, it handles the
connections from other email clients and passes the emails on as
required. If you want to send all mail on using sendmail, I would
assume that you are going to have to write your own mail server to
talk to all the mail clients. There may already be a command line
program for doing this, but I haven't encountered it yet.

Cheers,
Sarah