Making stack usable but not savable

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Aug 10 15:02:57 EDT 2007

Mikey wrote:
> The question is how do we prevent them from having a way?  Every time
> I exit a stack it asks if I want to save - so when I distribute that
> doesn't happen any longer?
>
> Man this whole trying-to-leave-HC-behind thing is making me feel OLD

Is this stack to be distributed to end-users with your own standalone,
or for use by other Rev users within the Rev IDE?

While it's true that the Rev IDE will prompt for a save whenever a stack
has changed, that behavior is unique to the IDE and not an inherent
engine behavior.

You'll find that closing a stack in a standalone will not prompt for a
save, and no changes will be written to disk as long as no save command
is issued.

Opening the same stack within the current session will preserve any
changes as long as the stack's destroyStack property is set to false.
If set to true, then closing the stack will also purge it from memory
and opening it again later within the same session will cause it to be
read fresh from disk.

But regardless of the setting of the destroyStack property, closing a
stack and then quitting without issuing any save command will not affect
the stack file on disk, and re-opening it again after re-launching your
standalone will show it in its preserved pristine state.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal