mercy...Control-A and text selection revisited

Mark E. Powell runrev at aboutmyfiles.com
Wed Aug 1 12:14:25 EDT 2007

Sorry, the archives are not solving this for me and I need to throw myself on the mercy of the list.

After a user enters cursor in a fld (its traversalOn property is true), I want control-A to select the text of that fld.  How do I do it?

The focusedObject is the fld, but the controlkeydown message is never received by the field.  Clicking outside the field makes the focusedObject the card, but when pressing control-A then the controlKeyDown message is not received by the card either.  A test button that says

  on mouseUp
    select text of fld "dump"
  end mouseUp

does select the text of the field successfully.  All the foregoing in both IDE and standalone.  Rev 2.8 Build 360.

What am I doing wrong?

Mark