anyone used Rev to write Windows file comments or other metadata?

Bernard Devlin revolution at knowledgeworks.plus.com
Mon Apr 30 07:56:35 EDT 2007

Phil,

I believe this information is held in a file's Advanced Data Stream.
If this is the case, then I think only files that are on an NTFS
partition will have these kind of comment fields available in Explorer.

ADS are weird beasties.  You could try the examples shown on this
page, and see if you can add comments to the file using the shell()
function:

http://members.cox.net/slatteryt/Streams.html

If I remember rightly, there can be issues with ADS not being backed-
up/restored properly with some backup utilities, and not surviving
other kinds of file-transer (e.g. FTP, storage of files on non-MS SMB
file servers), although that may not be an issue in your situation.

Bernard