Problem with recording in standalone application

Andrew Lian -nswc andrew.lian at andrewlian.com
Sun Apr 29 11:03:17 EDT 2007

Dear All,

When I use "record sound file "student.aif" " and then make a
standalone application, the recording does not seem to start
immediately and the students have to wait up to 4 or 5 seconds to
begin the recording to make sure to capture all they want. Otherwise
they get a truncated file where the beginning is chopped off. This
happens in the standalone - does not seem so obvious in the
development environment.

There are further delays at the end of the recording when the stop
command is issued as the system appears to go into never-never land
for a while as it closes/copies the new file etc...

This is annoying to some degree and it also appears to be system
dependent. I enclose below the script of the button which does the
work. As you can see it does a number of things but I would not have
thought that the load on the system would have been significant. I
understand that runrev uses QT to record/playback etc. maybe this has
something to do with it. I would prefer a Windows solution and I may
try to use mci
commands which I have seen used with runrev (though I cannot remember
where it was exactly) but that could limit the portability of the
application.

on mouseUp
if the label of me is "Record" then
record sound file "student.aif"
set filename of player "student" to empty
set the label of me to "Stop"
set the backgroundcolor of me to "red"

else
set the label of me to "Record"
set the backgroundcolor of me to 213,170,194
stop recording
end if
end mouseUp

Thanks a lot for your help.

Andrew
--
Dr Andrew Lian
Professor and Chair

We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are. (Anaïs Nin)
The universe is made up of stories, not atoms (Muriel Rukeyser)