Non-Motif Linux Interface? - SOLVED!

Rishi Viner rishi at puredata.com.au
Sun Apr 29 07:56:45 EDT 2007

On Friday 27 April 2007 05:22, Bill Marriott wrote:
> - My Revolution folder is on the desktop. I downloaded the tar.gz file
> there and simply extracted. I double-click revolution.x86 to run it.
>
> - I would put it into /opt, if that's where it's supposed to be, but
> Ubuntu tells me I don't have permission to do that. It's owned by
> "root." What's the proper place to put applications, anyway?
>
> - I'd log in as root, but I don't know the password, and as far as I
> remember, it never asked me to set one up for root. Probably just as
> well since I would presumably wreak utter havoc if I could, eh?

Well Bill, sooner or later if you work with Linux you will need to do things
as "root". You must have created a root account during installation, this is
mandatory except on many of the "live CD" type distributions. On live CDs the
documentation often tells you what the root login password is or else you
use "sudo" on the command line to get root to do your bidding. (e.g. sudo
konqueror to open your web browser/file manager under KDE).

Not sure if putting things in /opt will solve it anyway, but worth a try.

Cheers,

--
Rishi