Revcon DVD - highly recommended

Bernard Devlin revolution at knowledgeworks.plus.com
Fri Apr 27 01:36:22 EDT 2007

I have recently finished watching the DVD (some sessions twice), and
I just wanted to draw the DVD to the attention of others.  I've been
using Rev for about 4 or 5 years now, and I've done programming in
many different languages (including multi-database server-side Java),
and I still learned a lot and got many new ideas from the DVD.

There are occasional times when the quality of the screenshots is not
very good.  But I think that that is a limitation of the technology
involved.  (One can see the video camera automatically adjusting its
focal length dynamically when there is little contrast in the centre
of the screen e.g. if the script editor was open with only a couple
of lines of text on the screen).  But I don't think that
significantly diminishes the quality of the DVD - for 99% of the time
the visual quality is fine.

Some times the sound quality varies - but I think that is when the
sound is switched to a mike in the audience so that one can hear the
audience members questions and comments better.  I think the
variation in sound quality at those moments is acceptable if the
alternative is to not get to hear the audience's input.  Basically
the quality of the video is very professional.  I just don't want
this to be a gushing recommendation - I'm trying to find some faults
with the DVD just to balance my enthusiasm for it!

Unfortunately, there are times when the screen is in focus, but the
font-size used in the Script Editor is too small to read.  Hopefully
if Runrev are going to produce a DVD of any future Revcon, they will
include the speakers' sample stacks with the DVD.  Then, even if
there is some limitation in what one can read from the screen, one
could look through the stack/code provided with the DVD.

But with those caveats aside, the quality of the talks is really
good.  The speakers are very knowledgeable, and there is clearly a
great sense of cameraderie.  I've never seen such fellow-feeling at a
developer conference before.  The whole conference looks like it was
really well organised.  I really wish I had been able to attend.
Kudos to all involved.

If you've read the documentation that comes with Rev, and you've gone
through the scripting conference stacks, then the DVD really is the
next step in learning more about what can be done with Rev and how to
do it.

Bernard