Non-Motif Linux Interface? - SOLVED!

Bill Marriott runrev at wjm.org
Thu Apr 26 15:22:32 EDT 2007

Ok, I'm more than a little confused now. :) Of course, I don't know what
I'm doing on Linux.

- I'm using Ubuntu Edgy Eft, 6.10, under Parallels if that matters.

- I made the recommended changes to the revolution.sh file in my
Revolution-2.6.1 folder. I didn't notice any changes/effects; Rev still
shows the 80s-style Motif UI.

- My Revolution folder is on the desktop. I downloaded the tar.gz file
there and simply extracted. I double-click revolution.x86 to run it.

- I would put it into /opt, if that's where it's supposed to be, but
Ubuntu tells me I don't have permission to do that. It's owned by
"root." What's the proper place to put applications, anyway?

- I'd log in as root, but I don't know the password, and as far as I
remember, it never asked me to set one up for root. Probably just as
well since I would presumably wreak utter havoc if I could, eh?

- I do appear to have Gnome, because when I go to the System menu, it
says, "About Gnome" among other items.