version 7.2 vs 8.0

Bill Marriott wjm at wjm.org
Thu Apr 26 13:16:00 EDT 2007

Riccardo,

First, thanks for your comments and especially for going ahead and upgrading
your license.

I see you're a member of the "open beta" test group. I'm curious if you are
experiencing the same issues with Beta 5? If so, please take the time to
report them in the Quality Center; we really need that data since the next
build is due soon and expected to be a release candidate for version 2.8.1.

As we've tried to cover in the newsletter and beta test mailings, the 2.7.5
target has been renamed to 2.9. That remains our goal for the free update,
the Linux support, and honestly, the quality bar we're aiming for. Some bugs
can only be properly addressed by underlying engine work, and since that's
tied in with Linux, you won't see some major fixes until that version
emerges.

Having said that, RunRev engineers have fixed more than 500 bugs since the
launch of the open beta program (not all of them appear in Bugzilla). The
Altuit externals have been integrated, which greatly enhance the value of
the product. Windows Vista, with its new UI, different security scheme, and
other changes, is now supported. (I happen to run Vista right now, and while
many programs are flaky under that OS, Revolution is not one of them.)

I agree that the 2.8.0 release is somewhat controversial. It did have some
rough edges. Nevertheless, it is a much better product than 2.7.4. And with
Vista shipping, I think it was important to replace what was out there for
the benefit of new customers and existing ones alike. Not only that, there
were some patches posted within a week of its release by members of this
use-rev list to address many of the issues you listed.

I give Revolution credit for not simply labeling 2.8.0 as "2.7.5" and
calling it a day. They knew more work was necessary and they remain
committed to delivering on their promises.

My most recent announcement to the beta test list invited everyone to email
me directly with their "top five" gripes -- old or new -- still remaining in
the product. I'll take this opportunity to again request this from you, so
we can pin them down and address them for 2.8.1 and/or 2.9. Actually, any of
you reading this now are welcome to email me with your list. And we're still
taking signups for the open beta at http://support.runrev.com/beta_test.php

I also appreciate the sustained energy of all the "open beta" participants,
who have put the releases through their paces and been the real driving
force behind the steady improvement in quality we've seen over the last five
months. Please keep up the good work! Only with your help can we make 2.9
truly the version we've all been waiting for, and make Revolution a true joy
to use.

Bill Marriott
Beta Test Coordinator
bill.marriott(at)runrev.com

"TEKNE informatica & comunicazione"
<tekne at gruppoparentesi.it> wrote in message
news:C256743B.17108%tekne at gruppoparentesi.it...
Hi,
In November 2006 I appreciated the quality project and the Introducing Bill
Marriott with the plan on the 2.7.5 free update.
My enthusiasm was not only about the free update but it was mainly focused
on the quality concept (for example I have bought the RR Studio for Linux
and the RR Enterprise but after several months I didn¹t still have the 2.7.x
Linux version)
After six months I don¹t find a bug free update or a linux update but at
least I expected that the intense job takes to many steps ahead.
So after the announcement of the 2.8.0 final release with vista support I
have decided to upgrade my enterprise licence to 2.8.0 in order to test my
applications under vista.
But after the installation I find several serious bugs.
... answer dialogs appeare in wrong formats .... (both in IDE and Standalone
environment)
... ask dialog with password doesn¹t work ...
... the dimension of a configuration rev file (password protected)
inexplicably and occasionally grows from 3k to 100000K and more.

I think these problems depend from the 2.8.0 installation, so I try to
install again the upgrade both Windows and Mac platform, but ... these are.
Finally I throw in the basket the 2.8.0-gm-4 (the Mac manage versions
doesn¹t work ) and I return to work ...
Perhaps it was better to call the 2.8.0-gm-4 final version 2.8.0-dp4 beta
version.
--
Riccardo Linzitto
TEKNE informatica & comunicazione