Obtaining the size of a file

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Apr 22 15:34:24 EDT 2007

John Craig wrote:
> It's an app where files and folders are selected as part of a backup
> process.  Folders can be selected, in which case the entire folder
> contents would be used.  In the case of individual files (or just a few)
> selected in any given folder, only info for those specific files are
> required.  The app should be capable of running on a basic (possibly
> ancient) machine, so any speed improvements are a bonus.
>
> I appreciate all the responses - they are helpful and useful, but you
> seem a bit over protective of rev for some bizarre reason -

Not Rev, just your time.

At a quarter-millisecond per access, even the slowest method shown here
may not be bad.  And if this needs to work on multiple files there are
ways to speed it up exponentially.

If you took the time to write your own external, unless it does
something highly specific on a whole directory at a time, I suspect the
net runtime would be roughly on par with what you can get in native
Transcript in a fraction of the effort.

I've been down this road before, most recently with an installer I'm
working on for some of my clients.  I've sliced and diced this problem
from a few different angles, and the recommendation I offered to you was
the result of that effort.  Sorry if my attempt to help you find an
immediate solution struck you as "bizarre".

Best of luck -

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation