Automatically setting screen resolution

Joe Lewis Wilkins pepetoo at Cox.Net
Sat Apr 21 23:16:09 EDT 2007

Steve,

In my opinion as a very long time user of a  great many different
programs, I believe handling it as you have with a ReadMe
instruction, is probably the best method. I have encountered a few
programs that automatically make the change "for me", and I've always
hated it. I prefer to be in control - ALWAYS - since there can be
other things affected by a change in resolution beyond what the
programmer may have taken into consideration. Remember, just because
your program is opened, that doesn't mean the user will stay there
until they close it.

Another approach would be to check the resolution on startup and
provide a dialog informing the user to make the change. At this point
the dialog could allow to stop the program and do the change
themselves, or to continue and have the resolution changed for them.
This would be acceptable. Of course, if the resolution IS the desired
one, no dialog would appear in the first place.

Joe Wilkins