Revolution license

Bill Marriott wjm at wjm.org
Fri Apr 20 03:34:25 EDT 2007

Hi Viktoras,

> Does this mean any program that I
> distribute should have this lengthy copyright notice or otherwise I am
> violating the terms and conditions of the Run Rev license?

I didn't even know about that requirement until I wrote the article and it
came up in editing. I'm certainly guilty of not having it in the past. It's
mentioned deep in the bowels of the EULA when you install Rev, and I'm
pretty sure there's no task force scouring networks for unattributed
applications... but yeah, it does exist and it's been there a long time.

They just want one line somewhere... no logo, not a link, not a separate
splash screen, and not all over the place. I imagine having it once in your
"About" screen should more than suffice. I mentioned it in the article
because I thought eight words you could put somewhere out of the way was
much preferable to the many requirements FileMaker has, which ensure
everyone knows you made a FileMaker-based runtime.

One sees "portions copyright..." messages all the time in software large and
small, whether it's Pantone for the color matching scheme or the JPEG group
or Kodak for certain imaging technologoes.

Unlike FileMaker's list of intrusive restrictions, it doesn't diminish our
work, I believe.

[Insert standard "I'm not a lawyer..." disclaimer here.]