Graphics over QT

Kevin Brooks kevin.brooks at motorola.com
Thu Apr 19 11:43:44 EDT 2007

Perhaps someone can help me problem solve some graphics issues I have with
Revolution.

I'm writing an application that needed to display graphics over running
Quicktime video.  I quickly discovered that the only way of doing this (that
I could find) was to put the graphics on a substack that I opened as a
palette. Doing this solved my initial problem, but since then I've been
asked to do more impressive things with the graphics.  My questions are as
follows.

1) Is there a way to make a paletted stack semi-transparent, such that you
could see what's behind it, like running video?

2) I would like a paletted stack to appear on the screen as if it was
sliding out from behind something.  The drawer command opens and slides
stacks to the side or bottom, while I want to slide a new stack overtop of
an open stack.  The effect I'm looking for is the same as placing a fld
"offscreen" beyond the right hand border of a stack and issuing a move
command to slide it to the center of the stack.  It would simply appear from
the first stack's right edge.  But instead of using a field, I want to do
this with a stack, and preferably a paletted stack so it can float over
Quicktime.

3) I've played around with nonrectangular stack shapes using references to
image IDs, but is it possible to have a stack shaped with a hole in the
middle?

Thanks for the help.

-Kevin