Default button placement in Linux GUIs

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Apr 18 03:09:57 EDT 2007

Jacque wrote:

"Do Linux apps ever invent their own interface
entirely, or do they tend to stick to one of the various distro
conventions? (Would it matter, for example, if my answer dialog was
bright pink and had its OK and Cancel buttons at the top?)"

Cautiously, because I'm not a developer and haven't used these things in
anger, it seems to go like this.

You have several gui toolkits, of which the most used are GTK (gnome) and QT
(Trolltech, used by KDE).  There is also FOX and one or two others.

If an app is written using one of these toolkits, its look and feel, icon
shape and coloring and fonts, will be determined by what's available in the
toolkit.

In addition, both gnome and KDE have a control panel which allows the user to
set the theme.  This will set the look and feel (icons, font, colors) of all
the Gnome or KDE apps.  Independently.  You can run either control panel from
either or any desktop.  For instance, I am using gnome right now on this
machine, but in a previous time using KDE had set KDE to use the Sun theme -
this was purple menu bars, a sort of dull blue background, and black
highlighting.  It was fun for a while until the highlighting got irritating,
so I fired up kcontrol while under gnome, reconfigured the desktop I was not
running, and set the theme to platinum, at which point kmail running under
gnome took on a dull metal, blue grey highlight theme.  Doing this left
sylpheed and openoffice and firefox unchanged.

So, there is no distro look and feel, really, because you cannot as a user
sensibly confine yourself to apps done in one tookit.  You might be deceived
on this by looking at Ubuntu out of the box and the fairly restricted
theme-set available in gnome.  There is not even, really, a KDE look and
feel - there are quite a few depending on how one has themed it.

What Rev really ought to do is provide for a developer to pick up the the
theme in use from either KDE or Gnome.  But what a rev developer should do
for his/her app is, take a default theme, either KDE or Gnome.  Take a well
behaved application like Gedit or Kate.  Then do something which is
compatible.  And just accept the fact that for a lot of people using mostly
apps from the other Desktop environment, yours will look like they are Gnome
or KDE.  This does, alas, suggest not using pink!

The controls should be done similarly.  If you are picking a KDE style, follow
the Kate control layout.  This stuff matters so little to me that I don't
recall how different KDE and Gedit actually are in control placement.

Here is an OS News story on customizing KDE.  If you're a Mac user the extent
of possible customization might be surprising.

http://osnews.com/story.php/16813/Tweaking-KDE-3.5.5

Here is their piece resulting in 300 reader desktops being submitted

http://osnews.com/comment.php?news_id=16844

Here is a link into available themes for different desktop environments

http://themes.freshmeat.net/browse/57/

As you look through this stuff, the reaction might well be, why not pink?

Peter