QT Player Challenge - Play Remote Movie

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Wed Apr 18 00:58:49 EDT 2007

Mark Smith wrote:
> Just did it here, on Mac  10.4.9 (G4 Powerbook), WiFi.
>
> 1st time (player named "Tutorial") I got spinning deathball and no
> video. (forced quit to get out of it).
> 2nd time (didn't name player, referenced "player 1"), all was fine
> 3rd time (player named "Tutorial") all was fine.

>> Challenge: get this movie to play in a revolution player stack *over
>> Wi-Fi*

Harumph! (smile)  my "recipe" is blown and it's back to the vagaries of
a problem with the possibility for a solution close to virtual 0 percent:

"It always works in the browser in any connection context,
but in X number of those connection contexts Rev fails."

But one thing seems sure, it *is* a Rev problem....some aspect
of the http-tcp-ip-quicktime-api-player frame work is not as robust
as a the implementation in a browser (sigh)

It pretty much means that any strategy for video delivery (other
than forcing a pre-download) must take the form of

revGoUrl
"http://www.himalayanacademy.com/resources/lexicon/Lexicon_Workshop_Tutorial.mov""

and to just forget about using players... which is unfortunate,
because we lose all the options for a fantastic UI.

altBrowser next....and dropping them on our new Dreamhost account to
see if streaming helps at all.

Sivakatirswami
www.himalayanacademy.com