About OSx

Joe Lewis Wilkins pepetoo at Cox.Net
Tue Apr 17 19:08:01 EDT 2007

While we're talking about OSs, I'd like to toss out some ideas I had
back in the Windows 95 days, when it became pretty obvious that the
computer world was about to travel down a very rocky road. Of course,
this was prior to the advent of the Internet as we know it today.

I wanted someone to implement an OS that came in stages.

One, a very basic one that got the computer up and running, but did
little else. No frills. It would have only the most basic features.
One would boot up using this if you were planning to focus on text
editing. Of course, this was back in the days of the floppy disk and
no hard drives to speak of. And speed didn't even exist.

You could then add features and capabilities by opening additional
modules if you planned to do other things. Not just one, but several.

The biggest advantage of something like this was cost. The basic boot
up module would have a shareware level cost. As would the additional
ones. I figured that someone must see this as a method and that it
would eventually be done. It wasn't. I still think it is a great
concept. In fact, since I know so little about the Open Source field,
that may be what people are doing. In Linux???? Search me.

Joe Wilkins