Default button placement in Linux GUIs

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Apr 17 18:19:24 EDT 2007

J. Landman Gay wrote:
> Do Linux apps ever invent their own interface entirely,
> or do they tend to stick to one of the various distro
> conventions? (Would it matter, for example, if my answer dialog was
> bright pink and had its OK and Cancel buttons at the top?)

Would it matter?
For both immediate user satisfaction and long-term Linux evangelism, yes.

Are many Linux developers aware that it matters?
Judging from the mish mash of software currently available, apparently not.

But your apps can help Linux look more professional by just using the
guidelines established by the window manger development teams.  I have
links to those HIGs (and more) on my Resources page:
<http://www.fourthworld.com/resources/index.html>

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation