Default button placement in Linux GUIs

Scott Kane scott at cdroo.com
Tue Apr 17 12:44:21 EDT 2007

From: "Richard Gaskin" <ambassador at fourthworld.com>

> If not, how can we reconcile this issue if we want to deploy our apps to
> either window manager?

Not an ideal solution - but maybe as a last resort - ask the user.  If they
are running a Gnome desktop etc they *probably* know this (given that *nix
is widely used by techies with a smaller portion being less experienced
users).  A simple one time preferences question could resolve this.

Have to say it's a darn nuisance though that the HIG"S are all different.
Usually these things are based on careful study (as in Apples case).  I'm
not sure what MS studied - possibly just being contrary to Apple.  <g>

(before I'm flamed by any Windows zealots - Windows is my primary box and
has been since Win 3.1 and DOS before that going back to DOS 3).

Scott_.