Best practices in keeping file sizes small

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Apr 16 11:09:13 EDT 2007

KALANGI Vijay BABU wrote:

> I have an issue regarding the sizes of the executables.
>
> Are there any ways to reduce the size of an executable??
>
> Another Question is that is there any way to reduce the size of the rev
> file itself??
>
> Or is that it is just the rev file's size we can manipulate with and not
> the exe's size ?

Given that the Windows engine is still under 2MB, and even the OS X
engine is less than a half the size of Apple's Calculator utility this
issue doesn't come up much, so be patient if there aren't a lot of
suggestions on this one.

Stripping unneeded custom properties can drop the file size a bit (the
Rev IDE and Galaxy both add their own custom properties), and of course
images tend to be the largest objects in a stack to using good
compression for the types of images you have can help.

What would be an ideal target size for you, and why?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal