Bootcamp and Parallels

Viktoras Didziulis viktoras at ekoinf.net
Sun Apr 15 05:22:45 EDT 2007

You may try an alternative - VMware player (www.vmware.com). It is free of
charge even for commercial use. I use it on my Windows machine and it can
virtualize all flavours of Linux, BeOS, Solaris and NetWare. I tried it with
Puppy, PCLinux, Slackware Vector Linux, DSLinux, Open Solaris (Belenix),
FreeBSD (PC-BSD). It also runs other 'nixes or MS Windows inside a host
Linux, etc, etc.. It can be used as a "sandbox" for secure Internet browsing
on Windows via the "browser appliance" (Linux/Firefox). The only thing you
may need to start with is a livecd iso image of the guest OS and a simple
configuration file. As far as I know it is also available for MacOSX - check
for VMware Fusion, but it may be still in beta stage...
They also offer commercial packages like VMware ESX server, VMware virtual
center, Virtual SMP which allows a guest operating system to see up to 4
cpus in the virtual machine, vmware distributed resource scheduler and
vmware consolidated backup...

configuration file template for vector linux:

config.version = "8"
virtualHW.version = "4"
scsi0.present = "FALSE"
memsize = "256"
ide1:0.present = "TRUE"
ide1:0.fileName = "VLSOHO-5.1.2-LIVE-5.iso"
ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-image"
floppy0.present = "FALSE"
ethernet0.present = "TRUE"
usb.present = "TRUE"
sound.present = "TRUE"
sound.virtualDev = "es1371"
displayName = "Vector Slackware LiveCD"
guestOS = "otherlinux"
nvram = "otherlinux.nvram"

workingDir = "."

Just thought this might be of some use...
All the best
Viktoras