revMail bug report

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Apr 14 16:17:01 EDT 2007

I reported this as a bug, #4693.  But if anyone wants to do emailing in anger
on Linux, the right thing is probably to use the shell mail command, which is
documented at

http://www.onlamp.com/linux/cmd/cmd.csp?path=m/mail.

Its easy to see why mailto will not work very reliably if you have a couple
different clients installed.  Just start up a terminal and invoke them
with --help.  You see that the list of options is wildly different from one
client to another.  I experimented with kmail and sylpheed, which was enough
to convince.

Which is why revMail should not use an email client at all, let alone mailto,
and there is no need when you have the shell available.  Or maybe just
eliminate revMail from the Linux version, and tell people to pass a command
to the shell and use mail.

Looking forward to a couple of hours struggling with options to get this one
to work....

Peter