XP and Vista question

Björnke von Gierke bvg at mac.com
Wed Apr 11 14:26:07 EDT 2007

On 11 Apr 2007, at 06:51, Chipp Walters wrote:

> Been reading this same sort of doom and gloom regarding Microsoft for
> years. When MS makes mistakes (frequently), they often do change their
> course-- and quickly.

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html

Dear Chipp

The problem is, that linked article is in no way about the downfall of
Microsoft. Although there are parts in it that say "Microsoft made a
mistake" or "Suicide note", that is not the main focus of the article
as I perceived it.

For me, the most important message in that article was (in my words):
"Microsofts implementation to enforce DRM in the new Vista will make
every software, and every hardware only remotely attached to the PC
platform more costly and more buggy. Even if the user never comes near
Vista itself."
Although that may be true or not, it is a very interesting notion based
on the facts he put forth. Especially for a cross platform tool user as
myself. Personally I think that this is as much build in into Windows
as IE. Although it could technically be removed, Microsoft will fight
to the death to keep it in, as for them it is their lifeblood.

I have watched DRM reduce the usability of every digital medium since
the content providers where shocked by the (then) new lossless
capabilities of copying (ca. 1970 or so i guess).
In the end, DRM is all about reducing your customers to sheeps:
Mindless creatures to be slaughtered on a whim. The problem is, they
are not, and in fact find you very much rude if they perceive you to
having such thoughts. Also unlike sheeps, customers aren't slaughtered,
but give you money voluntarily or out of their own need, so as soon as
you slaughter one (or try to), all the others will think about finding
another person to give their money to (If they find one depends on many
variables of course).

I do plan to become a supplier if my own IP in the future, but I have
yet to find an answer to protecting sold digital data which satisfies
me. Most likely, I probably won't protect it, or only very lightly.

Sincerely yours
Björnke von Gierke

--

official ChatRev page: