Work around for Beep not working on RunRev 2.7.x+

Jim Ault JimAultWins at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 5 13:18:44 EDT 2007

On 4/5/07 9:54 AM, "J. Landman Gay" <jacque at hyperactivesw.com> wrote:
> Martin Baxter wrote:
>> J. Landman Gay wrote:
>>> problem, but it doesn't mention Mac OS or Linux. I think Rev's beep
>>> command would probably work just as you expect on a native OS 9
>>> machine. (Maybe someone with a native OS 9 Mac could take a look?)
>>>

>> The last version of RR for OS9 is 2.6.1, and here on my 233MHz beige G3
>> multiple beeping works fine. The final 2 beeps seem  to always have a
>> shorter interval between them than the earlier ones.
>
> Thanks to both you and Dave for testing. It's something to add to my
> trivia file. ;)

I guess from my old days with HCard, the beep command did not always work as
expected, but what did you expect from a free program that came with the
computer?

I think of the beep command in Rev as one of the things that has been
included for backward compatibility.  New users would have no way of knowing
about the legacy features, and the docs do not cover every nuance, nook and
crany, so it *is* more of an exercise in trivia.  A very good reason for
this list and its activity.

Perhaps we should let newcomers realize a little more about the long history
of xTalk and that it is not a perfect environment, and was not originated by
Rev.  They took it cross-platform, almost effortlessly for the programmer,
which is amazing.  There needs to be some patience with getting to know
something that is so good, but not perfect.

Jim Ault
Las Vegas