logos and copyrights

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Apr 4 14:10:10 EDT 2007

Viktoras Didziulis wrote:

> do we need to get a permission from Apple to use their logos (MAC and
> Universal) on our software and CDs to simply indicate that it works on
> macosx and is a universal binary? What about MS Windows logo? Or is it safer
> to just simply write it in system requirements in plain text?

Apple's logo requirements are fairly simple, pretty much just a simple
form you can download, fill in, and mail to them:

<http://developer.apple.com/softwarelicensing/agreements/maclogo.html>

I'm told Microsoft has similar requirements, but I can only find info at
their site for use of special-purpose logos, those which make claims for
specific certification.  I've written the contact address they give
three times over the last few years for clarificaton on use of the
general Windows logo, and have not heard back.

> Well at least the little penguin logo is safe to use...

I thought that was trademarked.  Where in the broad Linux world is its
usage defined?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation