copy protection

Mark Talluto userev at canelasoftware.com
Tue Apr 3 13:57:17 EDT 2007

On Apr 3, 2007, at 2:34 AM, Viktoras Didziulis wrote:

> Exactly. Can somebody share a few tricks to make content on a CD being
> unusable after being copied? Its a small niche soft (specialized
> biodiversity database and an e-book). Likely there will be no
> attempts to
> crack it, however we would like to be able to sell at least 200
> copies of
> the CD before illegal copies made by ordinary users start
> circulating around

Is the content going to be played through a Rev based application you
developed?  If so, you could encrypt the data on the CD.  Decrypt it
in the Rev app and play it.  The encryption options built into Rev
are very powerful and will protect your content very well.

The only problem is if the data is video or audio.  They may take up
too much space to import directly into your app.  You would then have
to decrypt them to a *secret* place and play them from there.  When
they are no longer playing you could delete them.  This is where the
security drops in a big way.  Your protected files are naked so to
speak for a period of time.  As you said, you audience may not be
savvy enough to locate the files.  You could name them something very
random.  There is a function in rev called tempName that would be
useful in situations like this.

If the media being protected is small enough, you could come up with
a scheme that keeps everything in memory and plays it from within
your Rev app.  This would provide the maximum amount of protection.

The best part is that these methods would not take you very long to
develop.

Key things to look up in the Rev dictionary:

1.  tempName for saving out decrypted data for temp use
2.  encrypt
3.  decrypt
4.  customProperties (if you decide to store protected data inside of
a Rev stack or App)
5.  deleteFile and/or deleteFolder to get rid of the temporarily
decrypted data
6.  specialFolderPath to find a good place to store you temp
decrypted data

Mark Talluto
--
CANELA Software