How to get a JPEG from a favicon file?

Luis luis at anachreon.co.uk
Tue Apr 3 11:22:02 EDT 2007

Hiya,

Found some info milling around the net:

From: http://www.favicon.com/
'What is an ico file?
An ico file is actually a repository of bitmap like images. They are
used because in some locations a 16x16 pixel image is desired, and
sometimes a 32x32 image may be needed. Sometimes a 16 color image is
desired, and sometimes a 256 color icon is desired. This repository is
scanned for the image size/color count appropriate for the location and
the computer's color capability. If the image is not ideal, it may be
compressed, expanded, and/or colors may be modified producing unexpected
results.

Isn't an ICO file just a renamed BMP?
NO. Although some people have said an ico is a BMP, this is not true.
Think of an ICO file as a repository of BMP images. It has its own format.'

Generalised info: http://www.yourhtmlsource.com/promotion/favicon.html

And, as always: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Favicon

Cheers,

Luis.