Grappling Hook?

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Mon Apr 2 20:12:23 EDT 2007

I have a situation with a reliable crash that I believe I have found a
workaround for, but I don't understand why it works.  Perhaps someone can
hazard a guess as to why?

I've built a Windows Rev app that runs from a USB stick which launches a 3rd
party app, and can open a directory on the stick for the user.  The problem
is, when these actions are done in this order, and then the Rev-app is shut
down, the Rev app crashes.  These are the steps and pseudo-code that lead to
the crash:

 launch pathTo3rdPartyApp.exe
 <quit 3rd party app>
 get shell("start explorer.exe /root," & quote & pathToDirectory & quote)
 <folder opens on desktop>
 stop using stack myTempLibraryStack
 delete stack myTempLibraryStack
 quit

When the above events occur in the described order, I get a reliable crash.
On a whim, I placed "get the openProcesses" before I stop using the library
stack, and it seems I can quit without a problem.  It's almost as if the
combination of launching the 3rd party app and opening the desktop folder
apply some kind of grappling hook to the system that refuses to release
unless the openProcesses is queried.

Possible explanations?

Thanks & Regards,

Scott Rossi