Mysterious Processor Use - Again

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Apr 2 19:32:44 EDT 2007

Fred moyer wrote:
> I saw a post to the list from back in April, 2006 about this. I'm
> seeing it now with Rev. 2.8. For no apparent reason, the fan on my
> Powerbook will turn on. I open Activity Monitor and see that
> Revolution is hogging the CPU with 40 - 70% of the CPU. I have no
> pendingmessages, no throbbing default buttons, no players.
>
> Whenever this happens I start closing stacks. Inevitably, it is when
> I shut a palette that the Activity Monitor goes down to normal. Just
> now it was after I closed the "Message Box" that the racing stopped.
> Does anyone know about this? Is it a bug? Is there some handler
> desperately trying to keep a palette frontmost that is causing the
> problem? I don't have a recipe -- it is intermittent.

Seems like you found the cause:  global variables can be updated at any
time by any script, so the Variable Watcher posts messages to itself to
update periodically so it can show current values.

70% sounds a bit high, and may warrant an enhancement request.  I don't
know the frequency of updates, but my hunch is that they could probably
do the update less often and no one would notice but it would free up
some clock cycles.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation