What's wrong with Globals?

Jim Ault JimAultWins at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 1 03:29:09 EDT 2007

On 3/31/07 11:40 AM, "Mark Wieder" <mwieder at ahsoftware.net> wrote:
> Jim-
>
> As usual, an excellent writeup on custom property sets
Thanks for the comment :-)

> Saturday, March 31, 2007, 12:32:01 AM, you wrote:
> >Jim wrote:
>> [aside: globals are what I reach for when I am not sure where I am going
>> with my design.  If this process goes on long enough, it becomes very messy.
>> I then can see how I should have designed my data storage and access, but
>> what a job to fix it :-)]
>  Mark wrote:
> <g> I've stopped doing that for exactly that reason. Now when I feel
> tempted to do that I'll make a local variable with get and set
> handlers, then later on figure out the best way to deal with it.
>
> Usually I will do what you do and end up with custom property sets,
> but sometimes I will end up with local arrays. I do wish arrays
> behaved themselves better, though.

One characteristic that is shared between globals, cust props, and
databases... they all hide the data and only show it when asked.

globals == variable watcher

cust props ===
inspector palette(painfull),
variable watcher(painfull),
extract-conbine into a field or msg box or clipboard-Excel

databases === queries, joins, indices, relationships

Excel === comfort food for tabular data
always visible if you scroll far enough
you can see and touch all of you data.

Jim Ault