Revolution, MySQL vs FileMaker

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Fri Sep 29 18:04:26 EDT 2006

On 9/29/06 4:45 PM, "Stephen Barncard" <stephenREVOLUTION at barncard.com>
wrote:

> I'm not sure if I have this right.
>
> Rev includes some MySQL drivers with the package. But we can't
> distribute an application built using those drivers without some kind
> of license with MySQL inc.?
>
> is that right?

Sort of... you can't distribute a non-GPLed application without a license
from MySQL. This generally covers all commercial applications.

In general there are (IMHO) two free uses of mySQL: (1) distributing a fully
GPL-compliant application, and (2) accessing a mySQL DB at an ISP via
browser-based input (or the equivalent), so that the drivers and database
are fully in the hands of the ISP and there's nothing for you to
"distribute".

I may be wrong, but this is my understanding of the licensing arrangements.

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software
Web site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com