[OT] Re: Filthy Apples

Richmond Mathewson geradamas at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 29 11:48:52 EDT 2006

Um . . . morality . . . responsibility . . .

With all due respect to Bob Sneidar (who wishes to lay
the responsibility for filthy computers completely in
the purchaser's lap), I think that this case is mutual
. . .

The theory that manufacturers will only manufacture
what is demanded of them (so the responsibility for
filthy things lies with the consumer) forgets 'push' -

if, for the sake of argument, we look at one
manufacturer of filthy computers (er . . . Apple) we
can see that they spend buckets of money creating
demand.

of course not everyone if seduced by Steve Jobs'
blandishments (? hm ?)

therefore the responsibility must be shared.

Computer manufacturers setting up their own recycling
operations and offering trade-ins might be a good
start.

Richmond Mathewson

"Philosophical problems are confusions arising owing to the fluidity of meanings users attach to words and phrases."
                                       Mathewson, 2006