Revolution, MySQL vs FileMaker

Josh Mellicker josh at dvcreators.net
Thu Sep 28 20:44:57 EDT 2006

On Sep 28, 2006, at 8:42 AM, Rick Harrison wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Postgres is FREE.  MySQL is not.  If you read the license
> carefully this becomes very clear.

Here's what I found on http://www.mysql.com/company/legal/licensing/
commercial-license.html:

1. If you include the MySQL server with an application that is not
licensed under the GPL or GPL-compatible license, you need a
commercial license for the MySQL server.

Since I'm not including the server, N/A

2. If you develop and distribute a commercial application and as part
of utilizing your application, the end-user must download a copy of
MySQL; for each derivative work, you (or, in some cases, your end-
user) need a commercial license for the MySQL server and/or MySQL
client libraries.

Since no MySQL downloads are needed, N/A

3. If you include one or more of the MySQL drivers in your non-GPL
application (so that your application can run with MySQL), you need a
commercial license for the driver(s) in question. The MySQL drivers
currently include an ODBC driver, a JDBC driver and the C language
library.

Does this mean Runtime Revolution,  Inc., pays MySQL, since they
include drivers?

But it does seem Rick is correct, that distributing a standalone that
includes drivers needs a license- or am I misreading it?

> I would never recommend giving some other company
> control of my company's database.  You have no idea
> what they might do with the information, and you
> can't say for sure that you are really protecting your
> customers' data or privacy.

We host with ServerMatrix (http://www.servermatrix.com/), they are
very secure and trustworthy.