[OT] Re: Filthy Apples

HyperChris at aol.com HyperChris at aol.com
Thu Sep 28 15:05:02 EDT 2006

Granted ewaste is a monster problem and apple can do more to help. Here is
the link to apple's official word on the topic ...

   http://www.apple.com/environment/recycling/

It includes these points...

Apple maintains a variety of recycling programs which add to recycling totals
every day:
-     For customers in the United States, Apple offers a free recycling
program of old computers and monitors with the purchase of a new Mac.
-     A free iPod recycling program, conducted through Apple’s retail stores,
offers environmentally friendly disposal and a 10% discount on the purchase
of a new iPod.
-      A trade-in program for educational and business customers in the
United States has already diverted more than 60 tons of electronic waste from
landfills since August 2005.
-      Apple’s recycling partnership with the city of Cupertino, California
has recycled more than 155 tons of electronics. All electronics products are
accepted free of charge, regardless of manufacturer.
-      We also participate in recycling programs in Asia, including national
programs in Japan and Taiwan.

Certainly apple should take the lead and do as much as possible in this arena
but they don't appear to be as derelict as the greenpeace ad campaign would
imply. I can't help but think the ipod (which has a decent recycle program)
makes them too easy a target and that other products and companies are far more
insidious.

(feel free to respond to me directly as this is getting off topic for the
list)