Revolution, MySQL vs FileMaker

Stephen Barncard stephenREVOLUTION at barncard.com
Wed Sep 27 08:00:57 EDT 2006

Dan said:

>Javier,
>
>Keep in mind that MySQL is not free for commercial applications and that the
>licensing involved is at least confusing (at least it was to me and I have a
>law degree!).

I should follow up to say that, yes if you want to host your own
MYSQL server there are fees involved, but on the other hand, you
could get a hosting account for less than $10/month that will allow
unlimited MySQL databases. Plus no hosting, backup and bandwidth
hassles that you get with hosting your own. The ISP handles the
licensing.

  Dreamhost's MySQL servers are tied to client IPs, so you can fine
tune the security. You also have the advantage of putting part or all
of the database on a web browser. Many competitive ISPs can do this
now.

sqb
--
stephen barncard