externals and Rev 2.7.x

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Tue Sep 26 18:33:30 EDT 2006

On Sep 26, 2006, at 3:59 PM, Dar Scott wrote:

> Try something like this when changing the default folder:
>
> *************
> try
>    put the defaultFolder into savedDefaultFolder
>    set the defaultfolder to defaultFolderForThisTask
>    ... blah blah blah ...
> catch e
> finally
>    set the defaultFolder to savedDefaultFolder
> end try
> *************

Yikes.  I should "try" to keep this simple.  Do this:

    put the defaultFolder into savedDefaultFolder
    set the defaultfolder to defaultFolderForThisTask
    ... blah blah blah ...
    set the defaultFolder to savedDefaultFolder

Then if you want to also set it back on errors, try 'try'.  If you
don't want to tackle 'try', that is fine.

The problem with my simplified 'try' example above is that it ignores
any indication or handling of errors.  It might be like this:

*************
try
    put the defaultFolder into savedDefaultFolder
    set the defaultfolder to defaultFolderForThisTask
    ... blah blah blah ...
catch e
    error e
finally
    set the defaultFolder to savedDefaultFolder
end try
*************

Except 'error e' is not a valid command.  However, with recent change
in the IDE, this is not too bad:

*************
put false into bad
try
    put the defaultFolder into savedDefaultFolder
    set the defaultfolder to defaultFolderForThisTask
    ... blah blah blah ...
catch e
    put true into bad  -- throw is broken here
finally
    set the defaultFolder to savedDefaultFolder
end try
if bad then throw "Error when loading external."
*************

It would be simpler if an error could reliably be thrown in the catch
section.  Simpler yet if the catch could be optional:

*************
try
    put the defaultFolder into savedDefaultFolder
    set the defaultfolder to defaultFolderForThisTask
    ... blah blah blah ...
finally
    set the defaultFolder to savedDefaultFolder
end try
*************

Now, that would be nice.  (I'm assuming that hasn't been fixed when I
wasn't looking.)

Dar

--
Dar Scott