Cold Panic

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Tue Sep 26 14:14:56 EDT 2006

Bob,

I've seen this exact behavior when trying to read a file for which I
do not have write permission. (If memory serves, checking the result
right after the open file or read from file with give you an error
message.) Try using

open file myfile for read

before you do read from file. Either that or change the permissions
on the files you're reading.

Devin

On Sep 26, 2006, at 11:36 AM, Robert Sneidar wrote:

> This script was working on a PowerPC based G4 laptop. I dropped the
> laptop whacking the backlight, but that is another story. I was
> able to import all my programs and data to a brand spanking new
> Intel Macbook Pro. Now this script is NOT working. THE IT variable
> does NOT CHANGE when I read from a file! It remains the path to the
> file I chose in the answer file dialog. Is read from file broken
> for the Intel machines??
>
> ON mouseUp
>     breakpoint
>     answer file "Select the program file to import:" of type "F+PR"
>     put it into mfile
>     IF mfile is empty THEN exit mouseup
>
>     put slyfilefrompath(mfile) into mshortfile
>     IF char -4 of mshortfile is "." THEN
>         put char 1 to -5 of mshortfile into mmodule
>     END IF
>
>     IF there is a card (mmodule) THEN
>         go card (mmodule)
>     ELSE
>         new card
>         set the name of this card to tolower(mmodule)
>     END IF
>
>     -- here is the important part
>     open file mfile
>     read from file mfile at 1 until END
>     -- at this point it still contains the result of the answer
> file dialog!!!!! EEEEEEKKKKKK!!!!!!
>     put it into field code
>     -- close file mfile
>     set the text of field "lblcode" to "Code: " & slyfilefrompath
> (mfile)
> END mouseUp

Devin Asay
Brigham Young University