Package for Windows -- Best Practice

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Mon Sep 25 17:00:20 EDT 2006

Chipp, thanks.

I think I already bought Monte's gadget, if not we will.

OK -- more naive questions from someone who is out of his league,
I only hope such questions are of benefit to other newbie lurkers:

Can you give me the "philosophy" behind using an installer versus
just having people download a .zip file? For Windows users?
Especially where an application is, well, it's own document.

Having it "slip away" into the applicatons folder or program's directory
doesn't necessarily make sense. It's one thing to
put MSWord into the programs folder because your documents
are actually on your desktop or wherever "My Stuff" may be,
... in the case of a Rev standalone, that is not creating other
documents.... ??

I could make up some good reasons on my own -- I have to explain this to
other people -- but I would rather have the reasons from the "wizard's
mouth" (professional Windows User-developer)

The question always is: "Why not let people put this stuff
where they want to on their own"  ?

Sivakatirswami