about Galaxy

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Sep 24 21:36:29 EDT 2006

Roger.E.Eller wrote:

> On Sep 24, 2006, at 7:37 PM, Chip Walters wrote:
>> Perhaps it's time for Galaxy to consider becoming like MetaCard, a
>> complete seperate IDE for the Rev engine.
>
> If Galaxy produced a commercial IDE replacement, wouldn't that be in
> violation of the prime directive? I mean, I remember way back, reading in
> the license agreement that you can create anything you wish with
> Revolution EXCEPT software that directly competes with RunTime and its
> IDE.

Actually it's the opposite:  an IDE is just a collection of stacks, but
all stacks need the engine to run, and need a licensed engine to edit
scripts.

So regardless of whether the Rev IDE is running, you still need a Rev
license to edit scripts.

That's the beauty of it:  RunRev can watch a thousand flowers bloom (as
Scott Raney used to say), and still all roads lead back to Rev.

Any third-party IDE must rely on a Rev sale to be operational.  A
win-win-win for all....

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal