Good ways to overcomplicate your code and slow down

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Sep 19 16:45:29 EDT 2006

Geoff Canyon wrote:

> On Sep 15, 2006, at 1:37 PM, Robert Sneidar wrote:
>
>> Actually I use comments in a fairly unique way. I pseudocode what I
>> want to do in comments, and then code around the comments so I can
>> keep track of where I am at and what I am trying to accomplish.
>
> This is what Steve McConnell recommends in Code Complete, a well-
> regarded general reference to programming, so don't feel all alone in
> this.

I can't say enough good things about what McConnell brings to the table
in his books.  I'm re-reading his "Rapid Development", and while the
first reading brought my supports costs down below a third of industry
averages, this second reading is already boosting my output.

There's always something new to learn, always ways to improve just about
any process, and with McConnell's work being a solid experience-based
distillation of decades of research in software project management his
books provide significant bang for the buck.

I have a link to a podcast interview with McConnell on revJournal.com
right now:
<http://www.revjournal.com/>

--
  Richard Gaskin