Problems With Latest QT 7.1.3 and MC/Rev - Read Up!

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Mon Sep 18 02:46:56 EDT 2006

On 9/18/06 12:20 AM, "Dar Scott" <dsc at swcp.com> wrote:

> On Sep 17, 2006, at 10:10 PM, Ken Ray wrote:
>
>> 1) QT 7.1.3 ships with Flash playback capability as a *preference*,
>> and the
>> preference is by default OFF. To turn it on, go to the QuickTime
>> control
>> panel, click the Advanced tab, and turn on the checkbox "Enable
>> Flash". If
>> you have any running apps that need to use Flash through QT, you'll
>> have to
>> quit them and relaunch them.
>
> This checking the checkbox can be done in the standalone app: one can
> change the preference with an external or AppleScript or maybe by
> changing the preference file itself maybe, but the application would
> still have to restart, disrupting the user experience.

Really? Where is the preference file setting to change? I looked in the
com.apple.quicktimeplayer.plist and couldn't find it...

Even so, there's the annoyance of having to be forced to use MC/Rev 2.7.x in
order to accommodate Apple's decision. I found that not only do you have to
use MC/Rev 2.7.x, but it has to be something that will operate natively in
your environment (i.e. that means either Intel only or Universal Binary for
Intel Macs, and PPC Only or UB for PPC Macs) - so if you try to create a PPC
standalone and try to run it on Intel Macs through Rosetta, it will fail as
well.

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software
Web site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/