XP Home vs. Pro vs. Embedded

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Sun Sep 17 18:26:39 EDT 2006

Bill-

Sunday, September 17, 2006, 9:32:30 AM, you wrote:

> Windows XP Pro. (If there's a way to have a console user AND an RDP user
> under XP Pro, or multiple RDP users, please show me how.)

...I wish. Not without Citrix Metaframe. Otherwise I think Microsoft's
licensing department would be having a fit...

> If you're using XP Pro and there's no warm body at the console, then VNC and
> RDP are pretty much equivalent.

That's mostly true. The difference is that I can log on under my own
account with admin privileges and not mess with the user's desktop.
And I don't have to keep the vnc server running on the user's machine
and have them say "what's this thing in my taskbar" and shut it down.
It's happened. But other than that, vnc would do the single user job
just fine, and may actually have an advantage in that the user doesn't
have to log in again after I'm done.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net