Good ways to overcomplicate your code and slow down development

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Sat Sep 16 17:15:47 EDT 2006

On Sep 16, 2006, at 2:51 PM, Mark Wieder wrote:

> If you really insist on taking this seriously, I'd much rather have
> things the other way around. My comments usually describe my
> intentions much better than my attempts at coding same.

Because my scripts tend to have small handlers.  I often comment just
before the handler or a family of handlers.  I also tend to comment
case statements.  I sometimes comment 'if' choices.

One problem is that the script makes perfect sense at the time I'm
writing it.

One thing I think is silly are comments that describe what the code
is doing at the low level.  That is completely redundant.  The script
does that.  The comment should work with abstractions or summaries.

Now as far as intentions, that is a very good point and I'll apply it
to something else.  When you or another comes back in to fix bugs,
you still have to maintain the meaning of the handler.  You don't
want to break something in fixing bugs.  The comments help with this.

Dar

--
Dar Scott

Lab, office, home:  +1 505 299 9497