XP Home vs. Pro vs. Embedded

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Fri Sep 15 12:07:14 EDT 2006

Bill-

> You'll probably like VNC -- http://www.realvnc.com/ -- Which is a free
> alternative to RDP. The main issue with VNC is that the free version does
> not have encryption so it's not terribly secure.

I use vnc (actually tightvnc) regularly and have for years. But it's a
different kind of animal from rdp. I worked on the Timbuktu team in a
past life, so I'm quite familiar with the screen-sharing approach. The
difference is that rdp gives you a separate memory space when you log
in, rather than sharing the screen, mouse, and keyboard among users.
It allows for a real multiuser situation, and that's necessary when
you need to have two or more users logged on to a single computer
without getting in each other's way.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net