Folder permissions question

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri Sep 15 11:31:12 EDT 2006

Shari wrote:
> I have a permissions problem that occurs once in a great while when
> people install my standalone on their computer.  This doesn't happen often.
>
> I do not use an installer.  The program is zipped or stuffed, depending
> on the platform.  The folks unzip/unstuff it and put it wherever they
> want on their computer.
>
> 99% of the time, the game folder installs properly.  Every so often
> however, the folder permissions are set to Read Only, and the game
> cannot update its own files, causing problemos.  I have no clue as to
> why this happens to some folks.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this?  And is there a solution?  At one time
> I had the following set during install, but later took it out:
>
> get shell("chmod 777 " & quote & theDirectory & quote)
>
> theDirectory being the full path to the game folder that they are
> installing.
>
> Do I need to put it back in?
>
> Shari

I just had this in a client's stack where data is being saved to the
main system library/application support folder. It works fine when
running as an admin account, but fails when a non-admin user tries to
run the software. The solution is for the admin account to change
permissions on that folder so that non-admin users can access it. (This
is on OS X.) I suppose the shell command would work too, but if a
non-admin is installing to the main applications folder, then you'll
need sudo in there somewhere, I think. Our solution was just to tell the
user to log in as admin and give his other accounts permissions to
access the folder. The situation was rare enough that a manual solution
was acceptable.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com