XP Home vs. Pro vs. Embedded

Peter T. Evensen pevensen at siboneylg.com
Thu Sep 14 12:08:23 EDT 2006

A memory leak is more often encountered in a traditional program where you
do your own memory management.  It happens if you allocate a chunk of
memory and forget to free it when you are done.  If you do that over and
over, you get all these unused chunks of memory the computer still thinks
you are using, so your program eats up more and more memory.

In the Rev world, it would be like doing a "create field" each time you
needed a field but if you forget to "delete" the field, you end up with all
these unused fields floating around using up memory.  Eventually you will
fill up all available memory.  Another example would be cloning stacks and
never closing them or closing them without their destroyStack property set
to true.

Revolution handles memory for you, so usually you don't need to worry about
it (unless there is a leak in Revolution).   I don't know exactly what your
application does, so I'm not sure if you would have memory-related problems.