XP Home vs. Pro vs. Embedded

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Wed Sep 13 17:10:56 EDT 2006

This is one feature where Mac has it all over PC's--all the crap that
gets installed with each new PC is mostly just garbage.

Some people reformat and reinstall from the included recovery disks
sans garbage-ware.

I don't. I typically get rid of Norton or McAffee anti-virus,
scanning, systemworks stuff. Just kill it all. Then I install the free
version of AVG anti-virus which has always worked just great for me.

I delete anything and everything which in not directly related to the
control/performance/use of the PC. I download and install FireFox and
set it as the default browser.

I also add (free) NetMeter:
http://readerror.gmxhome.de/
to help me monitor downloads. And I really like Download Express (free
version) for accelerated downloads.

HTH, Chipp